Please click below for 360° view.
Eagle Island first lit it’s beacon to mariners navigating the treacherous North West Mayo Atlantic coast on 29th September 1835.
Initially, there were two lighthouses on the Island. However, the might of winter storms came to test the structures and they endured constant damage from the attack of the wind and sea.
On the 11th March 1861 the light room of the East tower was hit smashing windows and destroying lamps. The huge wave came up 133 feet of rock and then a further 87 feet to the lighthouse.
On 31st March 1988 the lighthouse was converted to automatic operation and the Keepers were withdrawn from the station. The station is in the care of an Attendant and the aids to navigation are also monitored via a telemetry link from the Lighthouse Depot in Dun Laoghaire. Source: Commissioner of Irish Lights